Social Icons

Chili Two Ways

Last week I mentioned I was making chili for our tailgating party Saturday night and a kind reader suggested I post the recipe.  (Thanks for the idea, Holly!) 

First, a little background.  Andy and I grew up eating chili 2 different ways.  His mom made thick, traditional chili while my mom made chili soup, a thinner, soupier version.  For the first 5 years of our marriage I made Andy’s mom’s recipe because I knew how much he liked it, and honestly, at the time I liked it better, too.  Then my mom made an amazing batch of chili for Christmas a few years back and we changed our tune and started making chili her way.  Now I go back and forth, depending on my mood. (And Andy says he like the soup version better now!)

Saturday, because we had so many people here, I made a batch of each so all tastes would be covered.  Both were a big hit.  So, here you go!

Thick Chili

2 cans chili beans

1 lb. ground hamburger, browned and drained

1 pint tomato juice

2 cans condensed tomato soup

1 T chili powder (or more) to taste

Throw it all together in a crock pot on low for 4-6 hours, OR on the stovetop in a large pot, simmer for an hour.

Chili Soup

2 qts cocktail juice*

2 cans chili beans

1 lb. ground hamburger, browned and drained

1 can condensed tomato soup

1 T chili powder (or more) to taste

Throw together in a crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.

*Cocktail juice: I can my own.  The store bought cocktail juice does not taste the same in this chili, so if you want to make your own without canning it just buy 2 large cans of tomato juice and add the following: 3 tsp. salt, 2 T celery flakes, 1 tsp. prepared horseradish, 3 T lemon juice, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 medium onion diced small. Mix in a large pot, bring to a boil, then put directly into your crock pot.  You could do this ahead of time and let sit in your fridge a couple days prior to making the chili, just so the flavors all meld together. 

There you have it, chili done 2 ways.  Chili is one of those things that tastes as good or better reheated, so make a big batch and throw the leftovers in your fridge for lunch or a quick supper later in the week. Or you can freeze the leftovers and pull them out later in the month when you have a busy night and need something quick and easy.  It’s a perfect fall recipe!

If you make either of these let me know how you like it!

Erin

3 comments:

  1. CHILI - a fall favorite food. We like ours all full of stuff. We eat it with Chili Cheese Fritos on top for a little added crunch. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby would love the thick chili... I never would have thought to add tomato soup-- but it makes total sense. I'll let you know how it turns out after I make it this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this reminds me, I need to do a post on Chili, I'm told mine is the best. I like my hot though, so I go with all kinds of peppers.

    ReplyDelete